New here? The Create a Game video and the Installation & Getting Started tutorial are probably a good starting point. They give you an overview of how to build a game with the engine.
If you are stuck with anything and can't seem to find an answer here, try asking in the Forums or in our #impactjs IRC channel at irc.freenode.org.
For offline use, this documentation can be downloaded as ZIP archive.
HTML5 Game development with ImpactJS by Davy Cielen and Arno Meysman features step-by-step guides for developing an RPG and a Side Scroller with Impact. It also covers many advanced topics such as debugging, analytics, leaderboards and publishing your game on Facebook and various AppStores.
Jesse Freeman's Introducing HTML5 Game Development walks you through the whole process of creating a game with Impact. It covers everything from setting up your working environment to packaging your game for release.
The Class Reference lists all properties and methods for each of Impact's classes. If you are already familiar with the grand scheme of things, this is where you can look up the details.
Core and System
- Core - Module definition, module loading and the ig.main() and utility functions
- Class - Base Class for all classes
- System - Hosts the current Game object and maintains the run loop.
- Loader - Preloads all assets (images and sounds) and starts the given Game when done.
- Game - The main hub for your game. It hosts all currently active entities, background maps and a collision map and takes care of updating and drawing everything.
- Entity - Interactive objects in the game world are typically subclassed from this base Entity class. It provides animation, drawing and basic physics.
- EntityPool - Entities can be pooled and re-used if needed
- Input - Handles all Keyboard and Mouse input.
- Timer - Timing stuff.
- Map - Base class for CollisionMaps and BackgroundMaps.
- CollisionMap - Trace objects against a 2D Tile Map
- Image - A wrapper around image resources (png, gif or jpeg). It takes care of loading and scaling the source image.
- Animation - Animate Entities and Background Map tiles with an Animation Sheet
- AnimationSheet - Load an Image as Animation Sheet and specify the width and height for each animation frame
- Font - Load a bitmap font image and draw text.
- BackgroundMap - Draw a 2D Tile Map
- Sound - Loads a sound file to be used as background music or game sound.
- Music - Provides functionality to play background music and create a playlist.
- SoundManager - Loads sound files for ig.Music and ig.Sound.