Impact

This forum is read only and just serves as an archive. If you have any questions, please post them on github.com/phoboslab/impact

1 decade ago by Ken

210 songs and counting broken out by game type: http://www.nosoapradio.us/

I just came across this site via the indiegamepod.com and felt it is worth sharing in case anyone is looking for music for their game as I was.

1 decade ago by MikeL

Wow Ken. Incredible find! Thanks for that.

I've been thinking about the music/sound problem for a little while. I wonder if it's possible to create a hybrid impact-html5/ objective C (for the iphone naturally) game? Objective C would handle the sound and music while the Impact-created game would simply tell the Objective C code what to play and when (perhaps via webkit).

I haven't yet worked on any iPhone apps yet, so I'm not sure if that would work...

1 decade ago by Ken

Sure thing. :)

I've never worked on native mobile apps yet besides messing around with Titanium and AppMobi. Both of which have api calls that will allow you to play music and game sounds by supplying the path to the audio file. That way you get around the audio limitations of straight html5/browser.

I have not tried them yet but that may accomplish what you were mentioning in Objective C. That is the route I'm going to take if I do decide to go "native app" on the phone vs just over the browser. Still debating if I really want to pay the $99 for Apple and/or $25 for Android market. :)

1 decade ago by MikeL

Thanks for the info regarding the api calls for music and sound with Titanium and AppMobi. Very helpful. I'll look into that. Sounds like a lot less work then dealing with Objective C.

As far as the second part goes, it seems that I know far more people with iPhones and iPads then Android machines. At least for me, once I get that far, I'm going to plunk down the $99 to stuff into Apple's fat coffers. If that works out in any way, then I'll move to Android.

My brother in-law has an Android phone and he mentioned some problems with app compatability when using different version numbers of their OS. Not sure how much of a problem that is when considering app development...

1 decade ago by Ken

See, my experience has been the opposite, most of the folks I know that have smart phones have droids. I actually got my hands on a spare that I've been testing on. From my tests, iphones render html5 games better/smoother/faster then android does.

As far as compatibility goes, using AppMobi to test of a couple diff phones I have not had any issues running the games. Maybe if I needed to do something out of the box I might run into something, but I think if you end up using Titanium or AppMobi you should be pretty safe and not run into app compatibility issues.

As far as mobile platforms, I am leaning toward, Android market place first ($25) and a lot easier to get in from what I hear. And then make it available for iphone via the web and add the JS that automatically adds the page to the phones home screen with a click (kind of like bookmarking I think). Then if things go well, go iphone appstore.

1 decade ago by TylerAppmobi

Just a side note, you don't have to buy an appMobi pro account to get into the Android store. So if you want to make your game an app and put it into the market, all you have to pay for is the $25 Android fee.
Page 1 of 1
« first « previous next › last »